Honor thy gods : popular religion in Greek tragedy /
|Main Author:||Mikalson, Jon D., 1943-|
Chapel Hill :
University of North Carolina Press,
Table of Contents:
- 1. Introduction.
- Mythology and popular religion
- The fragments of Greek tragedy
- Irony and interpretation
- The need to particularize
- Tragedy and cult prehistory
- 2. The Deities.
- The presence of a God
- Gods and Daimones
- Gods and heroes
- Divine intervention
- 3. Challenges to popular religious beliefs.
- Oaths and perjury
- Death, burial, and afterlife
- 4. The pious and the impious.
- Creon and Antigone
- Ajax and Odysseus
- Pentheus, Teiresias, and Cadmus
- Troy and Athens
- 5. Piety and honor.
- Pieties and impieties
- Piety and justice
- Piety, folly, Sophrosyne, and Hybris
- Piety and Tiuń
- 6. The tragedians and popular religion.