Table of Contents:
- The varieties of English. The two mainstreams ; The rivulets ; Your language says more than you think ; Pidgin English around the world
- The flux of English. Have we too many words? ; Changing times
- changing words ; Shall we bring English up to date? ; A standard for English ; The problem of spelling reform
- Usage and the dictionary. Leave your language alone ; Chamber of horrors ; Usage and abusage ; But what of American usage? ; That dictionary ; The dictionary as a battlefront ; A loss for words
- What we do to others. G.I. English : not for export ; What we have done to one language ; But what have we done for them lately?
- A glimpse into the future. The international language and English ; One world? One language? ; The hidden politics of words ; What TV is doing to language ; English in 2067 : a forecast ; 2075 : a flight of the imagination.